Saturday, January 15

Along The Way

Has someone excitedly shared a personal accomplishment with you, only to have you shake your head at your oversight of his progress? Celebrating with others over their achievements (however big or small they may seem) brings a great deal of shared pleasure.

My youngest daughter is undergoing the dreaded "potty training" thing. I'm sorry, but I find nothing pretty about the whole drama. Anyway, a few days ago when I arrived home from work, she ran up to me and stated, "I made it the whole day Daddy!"
Not grasping what she was really referring to, I responded with, "That's terrific!"
"Yes," she said, "and you know what?"
"Uhh... no, what?"
"I get the princess." Ok, by this time I knew that I had worked myself into a clueless parent corner, but with all of the loving support that I sensed the moment required I said, "Wow, that’s great!"
"Yes, do you want to see the princess?"
"Well sure..." All of a sudden she revealed her new "princess" pull ups. (Ding!)
"Don't you like them, Daddy?"
"Oh, they are incredible!"
"Thank you, Daddy."

Make a habit of congratulating others along the way.

No comments: