Saturday, February 19

Betrayal?

Tomorrow's New York Times reports that Doug Wead, an author and former aide to Bush 41, disclosed that he taped Bush 42 as he was first moving onto the national political stage. Here are some excerpts"

Preparing to meet Christian leaders in September 1998, Mr. Bush told Mr. Wead: "As you said, there are some code words. There are some proper ways to say things, and some improper ways." He added, "I am going to say that I've accepted Christ into my life. And that's a true statement."

"It's me versus the world," he told Mr. Wead. "The good news is, the world is on my side. Or more than half of it."

Bush could hardly contain his disdain for Mr. Gore, his Democratic opponent, at one point calling him "pathologically a liar."

Preparing to meet with influential Christian conservatives, Mr. Bush tested his lines with Mr. Wead. "I'm going to tell them the five turning points in my life," he said. "Accepting Christ. Marrying my wife. Having children. Running for governor. And listening to my mother."


Wead recorded Bush because he viewed him as a historic figure. You think that the president might regard Wead's actions as a betrayal?

No comments: